Lake Mendocino

Lake Mendocino

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Come on in 2013, nice to see you

Twenty-thirteen is my year. Yep, all mine, all about me.

This is no arbitrary, end-of-the-year-hopeful-resolution-filled thought. There is some real logic at work here.

To begin with, my favorite number, or more accurately my lucky number, is 13. I have had many, many lucky Fridays that took place on 13th of the month. Even at the end of a really bad week, if that Friday is a 13th, all the bad stuff falls away and I am left with calm and better luck. Often the one parking spot that is available, and clearly left for me, is numbered 13, and when I return to my car it is always unscathed and un-ticketed. The very few times I have played Keno and won, there was a number thirteen involved. It only follows that an entire year devoted to my lucky number means that the year will be bring me much luck.

Additionally: I have a new writing project that I am excited about, and that I seem to be able to work on. I conceived of the idea on 12/19 and have written over 2100 words thus far. Considering how very, very blocked I have been creatively, this is a fabulous sign.

Even more: Prop 30 passed in California this year. One of the results is an easing, of sorts, in my chosen profession. One of the schools that I am most anxious to work for has a full-time, tenure track opening. And the campus is only 10 minutes (in traffic) from my house. I am quite qualified, and despite the competition (and there is a great deal), this is my year so my shot is better than in the past.

Ever the realist, I expect that while 2013 will follow-through on its promise, 2014 and possibly 2015, will likely be challenging. I am quite ready for the challenges; having lived through some awful stuff (like 2007, the year everyone died), I know I can get through the next round of crap intact and stronger.

I will greet 2013 much the same way that I have greeted the last several years, in front of a fire pit burning in the new and out the old. This year's flames hold great promise.

No comments: