Lake Mendocino

Lake Mendocino

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Procrastination and the New Year

If I actually sat down and made a list of all the things I am not doing right now, the "shoulds" of family, house and employment responsibilities, I wonder if I would feel better or worse.

I quietly gave up on resolutions years ago, long before it was fashionable to flaunt my non-conformity, or lack of desire to choose the worst possible time of year to make grandiose pledges to better myself. Two New Years ago we began a new tradition of throwing a presto-log into the fire pit and tossing in bits of wood covered in the our desires for the new year. The desires could be about letting go of old habits, about moving forward, or words of encouragement to the cosmos to bring brighter happier things into our lives. It is another way of making lists, listing out the things we are willing to give up and lists of things we are willing to accept. This year we have already have several "Spare the Air" days and frankly I don't want to acquire any bad Karma for purely selfish reasons. Maybe once this week's rains die down we can safely perform what is quickly becoming a favorite ritual.


But for the moment I will admit to putting off the following:
Writing a letter of recommendation for a dear friend
Updating syllabi
Creating lesson plans and schedules
Putting the last of Saturday's party stuff away
Returning the party stuff that I borrowed
Attacking the piles of laundry in my bedroom
Making my bed
Cleaning out my car
Cleaning my office
Organizing my office
Making plans as to what I am going to move into my new office space
Writing about my upcoming grandchild & my ensuing anxieties
Writing creatively (besides the blog update)
Updating my other blog
Eating
Getting dressed
Drying my hair

One thing that I should do is to meet my dear friend Linelle for coffee. She is a bright shining light in my life. Consider one thing done!

(P.S. This posting sounds much more depressed than I feel.)

No comments: