Lake Mendocino

Lake Mendocino

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wrapped in Music


Imagine sitting in a room made for music. Imagine closing your eyes and breathing in the simple eloquence of a lone instrument and accompanying musician. Eyes closed, I could feel the notes surround the small crowd in the newly finished concert hall, weaving in and around each of us. No microphones were needed, no curtains, no barrier between the music and the listeners. As Mary Rogers put it, we were wrapped in a blanket of music.



I spent last evening at the Green Music Center on the campus of Sonoma State University. A retirement party was the inaugural event for the Hospitality Center. It was strictly invitation only, a semi-private affair that I lucked into because I am fortunate to be related to one of the retirees. My uncle, Sonny, was one of the two men honored last evening for his many, many years working at SSU. He, along with a team of equally incredible people, is responsible for the at times controversial but irrefutably incredible music center.

I have a complicated relationship with music, but last evening my issues were non-existent. What was on the forefront was family pride and awe. Sonny stepped onto the campus fresh out of high school, and until 2009, never left. All told he spent 45 years of his life dedicated to his academic and professional career at SSU. His mother, my beloved grandmother, died long before the Center was an clear idea. But his father, born a simple farmer from Arkansas, watched Sonny work tirelessly to oversee that the design and building of what is now a world class music center. Sonny and I both missed his parents last night, but I could feel them there. I could feel the pride they felt for him. I could feel their love wrap around our shoulders as surely as the music did.

There wasn't a spot in the hall that wasn't enveloped in the notes that emanated from the piano. Even nearly empty, the hall was so clearly full of the music that will be. The small crowd were merely representatives of the hundreds of thousands of listeners of all ages and all walks of life who will enjoy the variations of the musical blanket that will now, and maybe forever, fill that hall to the rafters.

No comments: