Lake Mendocino

Lake Mendocino

Monday, January 18, 2010

Rainy Reflections

Most people I talk to are taken aback, and some are even appalled, that I enjoy a dark, cold rainy day. I get it, many people suffer from seasonal depression, so the rain only adds to their already depleted stores of the all important Vitamin-D whose presence can be restore with some sun-shine. They not only enjoy the sunshine, but they like the heat that accompanies it and can spend hours outside soaking in the heart. Not me. The rain re-energizes me as much as it soothes me.

I deal with depression plenty, but it isn't seasonal. Very little makes me happier than being bundled up with good company of some sort–a book, my dog, my honey, a favorite move–and the sound of rain drops outside the window. I enjoy pausing and watching the wind whip the leaves into a frenzy, the heaviness of the water pulling down on branches, or puddling up on outdoor furniture.

I like to drive in the rain, even when I should be safely home behind solid walls, to watch the water build up in the gutters and become small ponds in the street. Like a horror movie or scary story, I am drawn to watching flood waters (from a safe distance) rise above sand bags, or the river creep over its banks. I don't like to watch actual destruction, but the promise or threat of it. It feels a bit like flirting with a bad boy from afar, or playing with a burning candle. I want to get close to the danger, feel its power and threat, absorb the energy that waft off the tiny waves created when the wind coaxes the water beyond its natural boundaries.

When the sun and temperature are high, I prefer to hide inside in the dark. It feels as though I actually wilt in the heat. I feel limp and lifeless, as if the sun absorbed my energy. Isn't that supposed to be the other way around, or am I just thinking of Superman? The sun is supposed to give life, but it feels like it is stealing mine one degree at a time. I never feel daintier or weaker than when the sky is cloudless, the sun is high and bright, and the ground heats up.

El Nino is coming. That's what I have been hearing for months. Today is supposed to be the beginning of weeks and weeks of heavy rain and wind. My memory of an El Nino winter was one that lasted well into June. This is only January; the area is limping into winter after three years of drought. If the rain comes down hard enough, the natural stream systems won't be able to get the water into the depleted reservoirs fast enough and while the major river(s) likely won't flood, the smaller streams might. And the streams is what caused problems a few years ago.

So far today there is plenty of rain, but not enough to convince me that the little boy is back. Regardless, I am reveling in the fact that I don't have anywhere to be until afternoon tomorrow. Until them I'm praying for rain; not because our eco-system needs it, but because I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Ginny Buccelli said...

Thank you. Alas, I don't feel I am clever or pithy enough to post on Twitter.

Ginny Buccelli said...

http://twitter.com/missgingerb